Black Bean Chicken Soup
- .5 cups dry black beans (or one 14.5 oz can)
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz smoked sausage, cut into medallions
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano peppers, diced
- 1 qt low sodium chicken stock
- 1 chicken breast
- 8 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Rinse the black beans and place them in the pressure cooker with at least 2 cups of water and 1 tbsp cumin. Stir the ingredients together then add the lid and set the valve to sealing. Set the pressure cooker to manual mode on high pressure for 25 minutes. Skip this step if you’re using canned beans.
- While the beans are cooking, heat up a saute pan. When it’s up to temperature, add the smoked sausage. Saute the sausage until brown on each side. Remove the browned sausage from the pan and add the onion. Saute until the onion starts to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add the diced serrano peppers and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Finally, add the garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes, just until the garlic starts to brown. Remove the ingredients from the pan and set aside for a later step.
- Once the beans are done cooking you can quick release the pressure cooker and empty the pot into a strainer. If you’re using canned beans, just drain and rinse the beans. Leave the beans in the strainer until later.
- Add the chicken stock and chicken breast to the pressure cooker and add the lid with the valve in sealing mode. Set the pressure cooker to manual mode on high pressure for 6 minutes. Once the timer goes off, allow the pot to naturally release pressure for at least 10 minutes.
- After the cooker is depressurized, remove the lid. Use two forks to shred the chicken breast. Add the sauteed sausage, onion, serrano peppers, and garlic to the pot along with the black beans, diced green chilies, 1 tbsp cumin, and lime juice. Add the lid and set the pressure cooker to manual mode on low pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pot to naturally depressurize. Serve the soup with cilantro as a garnish. Add salt ad black pepper to taste.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.